This soup is not just a soup, it’s a story. My Savta was a special lady, and not just because she made great soup.
Story of Savta’s Delicious Soup
Savta spoke 7 languages, was a concert pianist, owned a dress store and moved to Israel to plant trees when it was still Palestine pre - 1948. From a young age, her hair was so white it was almost blue (and not only did she embrace it, but she also colored it white so it wouldn’t be gray). If you knew her, you didn’t need to know her name, she was just Savta… to everyone! In her 80s, she’d volunteer at a senior citizen center saying things like ’’look at all the old people“. Her energy and strength were admirable as was her dedication to her family.
She made this delicious soup—and everything else—with lots of love. Every time she prepared it, it tasted just a little bit different, as you can tell from the recipe (measurements like ’’all kinds of vegetables“), but it was always delicious. While I was growing up, she would pour the soup in recycled jars and deliver it to my house or would pack it up for me to take back home. She passed away shortly after her 100th birthday, but her memory and her soup live on!
Her original recipe in her European handwriting is here, but I wrote it out with a few of my own modifications (sorry Savta, I don’t use margarine… or chicken soup mix. But don’t worry, it’s still good).
Delicious Soup—Recipe Made With Lots of Love
- 2 large onions
- Salt & pepper
- All kinds of vegetables—Savta’s measurements, but to make it easier, here’s what I use:
- 3 leeks
- 4 carrots or 1/2 bag baby carrots
- 4 - 5 celery stalks
- 2 green zucchinis
- 1 - 2 yellow squash
- 2 bunches of dill
- Put 1 Tbsp. of oil in a large pot
- Add 1 - 2 chopped big onions
- Sauté lightly
- Add your vegetables
- Sauté together for a few minutes till all soft
- Add 8 - 9 cups of water (I used 1 box of imagine vegetable broth and then refilled it with water)
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes till all veggies are soft
- Add salt and pepper (generously)
- Cook on a low flame for another 10 minutes
- Purée with an immersion blender or ladle it into a blender till smooth
I hope you enjoy this incredible dish as much as we do.
Don’t forget to let me know if you try the famous delicious soup!
Check out the rest of my recipes, all made with lots of love, here.