Make Your Own Poke Bowl night has been on repeat here. The creations are unlimited! Vibrant colors of fresh vegetables balance out the zesty marinated fish in this flavorful packed bowl.
Whenever I have shared my family’s Make Your Own Poke Bowl Bar on my Instagram stories, I have gotten a lot of questions and love.
The original recipe is from a cooking class I went to with @prepandrally years ago and have adapted it.
If you’re not a fish lover, you can use tofu or meat instead or change the vegetables according to your personal preferences.
The poke bowl recipe is a fun way to make everyone happy at dinner time! Give it a go and make your own poke bowl!
Poke Bowl Recipe
Marinating the fish
- 2 lb sushi grade – I used a combo of tuna and salmon (ask your local fishmonger to dice it for you)
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp. soy sauce (I use Coconut Aminos or Tamari)
- 1/4 Cup sesame oil (I love Spectrum Organic Sesame Oil)
- 1/2 Cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds (I used a mix of black and white @simplyorganicfoods)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 Tsp. salt
- Optional: 3 Tbsp. Sriracha if you like it hot and spicy
Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. You can make the marinade in advance and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
- Sushi rice – I use Lundberg Organic Sushi Rice, and follow the directions on back of the package. I also sometimes include a sticky cauliflower rice option from @fabulousfiber for those who need or prefer a grain free alternative rice
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1/2 a head of cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 a head of kale, shredded
- 1 radish, cut thinly
- 1 handful shelled edamame @seapointfarms is my favorite
- Pickled veggies of choice
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 handful sliced scallions, thinly sliced
- A sprinkle of sesame seeds, I use Simply Organic Black Sesame Seeds
- Sweet sauce & spicy sauce (to taste)
Assembling the Bowl
Toss raw protein of choice in marinade and allow it to sit for 5 minutes and absorb. If using tofu or cooked protein, pan fry or air fry (I love tofu in an air fryer – I use GoWise USA XL capacity, but there are so many good ones out there).
Serve all in 2-3 sizes of uniform bowls to fit their contents (I use Porcelain Bowls but also love Japanese Bowls). I like to set up a “bar” with the bases all lined up, greens and grain options, then all the veggies, the proteins and the sauces and toppings.
It’s that simple, a crowd-pleasing meal within minutes! Everyone can pick their preferred base, toppings and garnish. It also makes a great meal the next day, if by some chance there are leftovers. I sear the fish and put the sauces in mini to go containers like these to add when ready to eat.
If you make your own poke bowl for dinner (or lunch) please share your thoughts or pictures! I'd love your feedback.
Also, be sure to check out my recipe for HealthIER Chocolate Chip Cookies, the perfect dessert.
👏🏻 Love this Lisa!!! You’re such a fun one. And happy birthday!!! January is a special month for me- I became a mom!! Wishing you a beautiful, healthy, safe and happy year filled with fun adventures that you share all about on this blog!
Love the blog Lisa! So clever as well written! Looking forward to seeing and reading all your amazing content!
Thank you so much 😊 I’m so glad you’re here.
Good for you! This is awesome. You get the win for making lemonade out of lemons during this pandemic.
This is awesome!!
Maybe it’s something in the name but I love chocolate, peanut butter and a great bowler! 😂
I am so happy you finally did this! This is YOU!
I actually laughed. Forgot how funny you are. This is great!! Looking forward to many, many more❤️
Love the blog. Can’t wait to read more.
Have never met you in person, but adore you already! Friends find friends! So happy for you and happy, happy birthday! ❤️
Thank you so much 😊 means the world that you took the tine to write! And insta friends turned real friends are some of my favorite people ❤️ Hope to meet one day!
This is amazing! Not sure which is number is my favorite but i will have to go with lisa time…. the tennis instructor was the first person who used that term and i love it!!!!
Haha! Here’s to more time together both on and off the court. “Lisa time” is definitely a real thing…hoping to get it closer to EST before my next bday.
This is awesome. I also hate raw tomatoes but love cooked. Best of luck and keep on sharing!
Lol! Glad to be in good company 😊 thank you so much!!
Love that Yoyebe made the list!!
Good luck Lisa! Off to an awesome start! Can’t wait to collab!