We usually think summer entertaining always requires a barbeque, but it doesn’t always have to be about meat.
Sometimes fish can be the main dish. Besides the classic grilled fish on a cedar plank, which is delicious, sometimes I just want to keep it simple and light.
Especially as the weather gets nicer people pop over more casually and I don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen or over a hot grill.
When I’m hosting more than 20 people, I typically will outsource and enlist a private chef or someone to run my grill (stay tuned for post about some of my favorites).
Here’s my go to for a quick, 20 minutes start to finish, fish dish. I always make 2 types because who doesn’t like variety?
The Mixed Fish Main Dish
- 3lb Salmon Cubed (appx 24-30 1.5 -2” cubes, think bite-sized, skin removed)
- Olive Oil
- Toss in a bowl a few shakes each of: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder & Paprika
- A few grinds of Sea Salt and Black Pepper (Sorry but that’s exactly how I do it, there’s no measuring…just eyeball enough spices that the fish cubes are coated evenly)
- Or to make it even simpler, use Magic Salmon Spice (if you haven’t tried it, it is one of the easiest cooking hacks I have ever tried)
- Roast uncovered at 400 F for 15 minutes till cooked through
- 2-3 lb. Sushi Grade Tuna Loin (ask your fishmonger to cut it for you so it looks almost like a butter stick; this is the best part of the tuna, juicy and vein-free; it is more expensive but so good and perfectly uniform pieces; a whole tuna steak will work well too, you just need to cut it more creatively to keep it even and uniform)
- Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Spice
- Spray the tuna lightly with avocado oil, coat in the EBTB spice
- Sear 30 seconds each side
- Slice evenly
Serve this exquisite fish dish on a simple platter in a row separated by lemons and herbs (see above).
Put atop your favorite salad or veggie board and a delicious main dish is ready.
Mine is this versatile Vegan Kale Caesar Salad that goes with just about everything.
Its also perfect for this deconstructed salad Nicoise.
Add a veggie board, that is as simple as your favorite veggies, some EVOO, salt and pepper, and roasted or air fried arranged on a platter.
LUNCH, OR DINNER DONE!
What is your favorite fish dish?
Love this dish! Perfect for family dinner or a party!!! Win Win!! Thank you!! ❤️
Thanks for writing! I hope you and your family and guests enjoy! Send me a pic when you make it or tag me if you post on Instagram – I’d love to see your beautiful fish dish